St. Joseph Elementary School
St. Joseph Elementary School is one of the first three Catholic Elementary Schools in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles. The school had its beginning in 1898 when the Sisters of the Holy Name opened Holy Name Academy. The first parish school building was dedicated in 1926 and Holy Name of Academy was renamed St. Joseph Elementary School. The Sisters of the Holy Name administered the school until 1948. In that year the school was transferred to the direction of the Felician Franciscan Sisters. The Felician Franciscan Sisters directed the school until 1999 when the first lay principal was assigned.
The original school building was located on Huntington Street in Pomona. In May of 1952, the school building was dismantled, cut in half, and transported to its new location on Holt Avenue. The original building was reconstructed but is still used and houses the school office and six classrooms. Six additional classrooms were built adjacent to the original building and later an annex building with four classrooms was constructed. In mid-September 1952, the school reopened with 12 classes in session. In 1953, the school had 16 classrooms, Grades 1–8.
In 1959, with the establishment of numerous parishes and opening of various parochial schools, the Archdiocesan of Los Angeles recommended that the school be reduced to eight classes. In 1988, a Kindergarten was opened for the first time. Currently, the nine classes, Grades K – 8, average thirty-five students per class.
The 1990-1991 school year marked the opening of a science/computer lab and a new computer curriculum, along with a music classroom. Between 2001 – 2004 new curricular programs in the areas of Religion, Family Life, Reading, Math and Science have been adopted, along with new computers in the computer lab. In 2003 the school was fully ACCREDITED for a six-year term by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and by the Western Catholic Education Association.
St. Joseph Elementary School has always provided an excellent spiritual and ACADEMIC preparation for all students. Our main purpose has always been to provide a Catholic Christian ministry to children. We are proud to live the reality of Jesus being the foundation of the school and the children our center and main focus. It is our prayer to continue to minister to the spiritual and academic needs of our children for many years to come.
As we progress through the 21st Century, we pray that St Joseph School will CONTINUE to be blessed with outstanding students and the Parish Community continues to support the values and ideals that make a Catholic Education an Advantage for Life.
Jesus Christ is the foundation for our school community. His call to teach is our inspiration; His life the model for our students. In partnership with parents, we prepare our students to become full and active members of the Catholic Church, to serve others, and to make a difference in the world. We commit our school to provide a QUALITY EDUCATION that will provide for all students a strong foundation in their faith and academics to meet all challenges in their future.
A Catholic education at St. Joseph’s Elementary School is intended to make one’s faith become a daily-lived experience; one’s person a holistically developed individual; and one’s intellect sound in the basic skills and learning habits needed to further HIGHER EDUCATION. It is recognized that our education and school is student-centered. It is essential to the effectiveness of our school that parents be respected as having a vital role in the education of their children. We, the teachers, serve as guides using our personal knowledge and experiences. We hope to exhibit solid Christian foundations as the basis for our own lives and draw strength and inspiration from the Gospel, in which our faith is rooted.
For more information check out our ST. JOSEPH SCHOOL website.